PMI's Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® certification recognizes the advanced experience and skill of portfolio managers. The credential demonstrates your proven ability in the coordinated management of one or more portfolios to achieve organizational objectives.
PfMP credential holders are responsible for the execution of the portfolio management process, communication around portfolio progress, and recommendations for action. Where project and program managers are responsible for "doing work right," this is an ideal credential if you are responsible for ensuring your organization is "doing the right work."
PfMP candidate profile
The PfMP Role Delineation states that candidates for the PfMP credential:
- Foster alignment of portfolio components (projects, programs, operations) with the strategic objectives and priorities of the organization.
- Establishes a governance model and portfolio management plan to support effective decision making.
- Perform continuous analysis and monitoring of portfolio components to identify issues, risks, and opportunities for improvement.
- Portfolio Managers strive to balance and optimize the portfolio to achieve strategic portfolio objectives.
- Possess the advanced business knowledge and specialized domain competencies to enable organizational agility and success.
Evaluation 1—Panel Review
The panel review process begins once the credential payment is received and the audit is completed (if your application is selected). A panel of volunteer portfolio managers will assess your professional experience based on your responses to the Portfolio Management Experience Summaries on the PfMP application. This review panel consists of individuals from around the world who, through an application process, have been identified as subject matter experts in portfolio management and have been trained and calibrated to assess your answers to the Portfolio Management Experience Summaries. To protect against any potential review bias, PMI will ensure that your identity will not be known to the panel reviewers.
The review will verify that you, under very limited supervision, have been responsible for the coordinated management of one or more portfolios that aim to align the investment in projects and programs with organizational strategy.
Once you pass the panel review, you will be eligible to take the examination
This process takes approximately four weeks to complete.
Evaluation 2—Examination Information
The PfMP examination consists of 170 multiple-choice questions. Of the 170 questions, 20 are considered pretest questions. Pretest questions do not affect the score but are used in examinations as an effective and legitimate way to test the validity of future examination questions. All questions are randomly placed throughout the examination. Time allotted : 4 Hours
The program offered by Proventures will bring a comprehensive overview of the process model from PMI standard on Portfolio Management along with application perspective from Industry practices. In addition to this the participants get a hand on working experience in doing real time portfolio analysis using Microsoft PPM
The high level course out line is presented below
- Introduction to Portfolio Management
- PfMP examination guidelines
- Role of Portfolio Manager
- Integrated Project, Program and Portfolio Management office
- Portfolio Management Process groups
- Defining process Groups
- Aligning process Groups
- Authorizing and Controlling Process group
- Portfolio Management Knowledge areas
- Portfolio Strategic Management
- Portfolio Governance Management
- Portfolio Performance Management
- Portfolio Communication Management
- Portfolio Risk Management
- Technology Options in PPM
- Case Study
- Define, Optimize, Select, Authorize Portfolio component
- PfMP Examination Quiz and discussions
High level Portfolio management framework is enclosed
The key documents on PfMP certification is enclosed for further reference.