- New Exam Content Outline (ECO) published: June 2019
- Last day to take the current version of PMP Exam: 30th June 2020
- First day to take the new version of PMP Exam 1 July 2020
What is changing?
Project management professionals need more diverse skills and approaches than ever before. The PMP is evolving just like the profession – and the new exam will focus on three new domains:
- PEOPLE– emphasizing the skills and activities associated with effectively leading a project team
- PROCESS– reinforcing the technical aspects of managing a project
- BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT– highlighting the connection between projects and organization strategy
Content that spans the value spectrum, including predictive, agile and hybrid approaches, will be included across the three exam domains. In this article, we will elaborate this by reviewing the Examination Content Outline.
Expect to see:
More approaches to delivering outcomes. The exam will cover both predictive (approximately 50%) and agile/hybrid (approximately 50%) approaches to project management. Domains aligned to real-life practices. The number of domains will be reduced from five to three.
Why is the PMP exam changing?
Every 3 – 5 years, PMI conducts research to understand how the profession has progressed, the impact of emerging trends, and how the responsibilities of project managers have changed. The last research was conducted in 2015 and resulted in the current PMP® Exam Content Outline (June 2015 edition). Subject Matter Experts from leading organizations from around the world have worked with PMI to define the PMP of the future. The outcome of this exercise is the new content outline 2019.
Review of the new ECO document
Domains reduced from five to three
Our Remarks / Recommendations:
This is a welcome change. Project Management is a blend of Art and Science. Though the earlier ECO model carried these elements they were part of Processes in the form of tools and techniques. This approach will elevate the importance of people and stakeholders and eventually the quality of the profession
Enhance your career with Project Management Trainings